|CAMDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY Journal
Camden History is the Journal of the Camden Historical Society. It is published twice yearly and contains a wide range of articles and other items of local history about the Camden district.
The current editor is Dr Ian Willis. All correspondence should be addressed to The Editor, Camden History, PO Box 566, Camden. 2570. The editor welcomes articles on the Camden district for consideration.
Camden History is available free to members of the Camden Historical Society Inc.
For information on how to subscribe to Camden History please contact Camden Historical Society
Current issues can be purchased for $6.00 with postage and handling cost for one $3.00, $5.00 for two and $1.50 for each additional book over two.
Back copies can be ordered by email and you will be notified of availability and time for delivery.
Click here for an index for Vol. 3, No. 1, March 2011 to Vol 3, Number 10, September 2015.
Click here for an index for Vol. 2, No. 1, March 2006 to Vol 2, Number 10, September 2010.
click here for an Index for Vol. 1 and 2
A Summary of articles for all the Journals since 2001 is listed below, and .pdf files can be accessed by selecting the links below for each Journal as they become available.
Volume 4 Number 8 September 2019
- Disastrous Theatre Fire, Dianne Matterson. p 327
- Loyal Orange Lodges, Brendan O'Farrell. p 332
- The McMinn Royal Black Sash - Item No. 2017.73.4, Julie Wrigley, Anne McIntosh and Margaret Wheeler. p 333
- An Independent Woman, Jo O'Brien. p 336
- Textiles, History and Smoking Caps, Margaret Wheeler. p 342
- U.S. Artist Exploring Seeds at the PlantBank, Kaleigh Rusgrove. p 344
- Memories of Ron Davies: Abbotsford, Anne McIntosh. p 350
- President's Annual Report 2018-2019, Ian Willis. p 361
- The Abusive Mr Chisholm (Part 3), Peter McCall. p 363
Volume 4 Number 7 March 2019
- Memories of Rob Shumack, Anne McIntosh. p 367
- The Camden District Hospital Nurses' Home, Ian Willis. p286
- Some Nursing Memories. Tricia Smith, Frances Warner, Trish Clark, Margaret Wheeler. p290
- Camden Museum Volunteer Project, Dianne Matterson. p298
- The Abusive Mr Chisholm (Part Two), Peter McCall. p299
- Baragal Ngurra darami - Budbury and a paddock long ago, Venessa Possum. p307
- My Story: The Tandem Team Launch Tourism, 1978-1988, Macarthur Country, Betty Yewen. p314
- A Picture Tells a Thousand Words. Fashion Speaks Just as Loud! Laura Jane Aulsebrook. p316
Volume 4 Number 6 September 2018
- William Macarthur and the Empire of Science, presentation by Dr Julie McIntyre at State Library of NSW. From notes taken by Anne McIntosh. p321
- Alan Baker, the artist. Ian Willis. p242
- Alan Baker Art Classes. Rizwana Ahmad, Patricia Johnson,
Olive McAleer, Shirley Rorke, Nola Tegel, John Wrigley OAM. p248
- The Abusive Mr Chisholm, Part One. Peter McCall. p258
- Please 'shed' light on Matavai. Anne McIntosh. p267
- Ria and the story of the song, Camden. Ian Willis. p270
- Memories of Milton and Elaine Ray. Gail Carroll (nee Ray). p274
- A notable scientist from Camden. Marilyn Willis. p276
- President Annual Report 2017-2018. Ian Willis. p278
- Changing environments for small charitable organisations. Kathy Lester. p282
Volume 4 Number 5 March 2018
- Camden Item of Significance. Kathryn Pesic. p284
- Dr Peter Mylrea OAM, Ian Willis, John Wrigley. p.215
- Janice Johnson, John Wrigley. p.222
- A vintage girl in a modern world, why a 21st century girl loves living a 1950s life, Laura Jane Aulsebrook. p226
- Archaeology and Elderslie Railway Station, Andrew Lundy. p.232
- John and Nona Souter, the story, Tony Souter. p.235
Volume 4 Number 4 September 2017
- Camden and Wollondilly LGA Rivalry, a view, Lynette Styles. p.242
- Sixty Years of Local History, 1957-2017. Ian Willis. p.151
- The Rewards of Volunteering at Camden Museum.Robert Wheeler. p.157
- Lively exhibition for the Centenary of Australian Federation. Sandra Dodds. p.159
- President's Report 2016 - 2017. Ian Willis. p.167
- Making the Most of MOSAiC. Anne McIntosh. p.171
- Anzacs of Macarthur. Lauren Hokin. p.177
- Commander Frank Gardner RAN 1841-1927. Harry Stait-Gardner. p.185
- Memories of the Burragorang Valley. Ron Schofield. p.190
- A 1930 road trip from Sydney. Anne McIntosh. p.193
- My memory of my first jobs in 1965 and 1966. Robert Wheeler. p.195
- Mother's Day at Belgenny Farm 2017. Anne McIntosh. p.198
- A visitor to Camden. Anne McIntosh. p.199
- Sculptures, Monuments and Outdoor Cultural Material project. Sandra Dodds. p.203
Volume 4 Number 3 March 2017
- The Heath Years at Windamere, Cobbitty. Lenore Heath. p.204
- Stories from The Menangle News. p.111
- Sue Peacock, The story of The Menangle News. p.117
- Laura Egan-Burt, An Arts and Crafts house in Menangle. P.120
- Laura Egan-Burt, Menangle Community Association Inc. p.125
- Anne McIntosh, The Camden Museum Collection - Understanding Its Significance. P.132
- Anne McIntosh, Australia Day 2017. P.136
- Mark and Trish Thornell, Immigrant Child. P.140
- Wayne Bearup, Memories Of Pansy, The Camden Tram. p.142
Volume 4 Number 2 September 2016
- Janice Johnson, Ghosts And Shadows At Macaria, A Reply. p.145
- Linda and David van Nunen, Brian Stratton - the story of a local artist. p.40
- Col Smith. Memories of Barbering. p.50
- Mark Latham, Horse History in Western Sydney: Kirkham Stud, p.60
- Sophie Mulley, Dairy Farmer to Young Local Historian, p.67
- Ian Willis, Echoes of the Appin Massacre 1816, p.76
- Joy Riley, Growing up in Camden, p.81
- Bob Lester, President's Report 2015 - 2016, p.86
- Pansy, The Camden - Campbelltown Train, Photographs by Wayne Bearup, p.91
- Christos Scoufis, Camden Arcade 25th Anniversary Address, p.97
- Tara Eagleton, A Personal Reflection on Local History Studies at the University of New England, p.100
Volume 4 Number 1 March 2016
- Pauline Downing, Ghosts and Shadows at Macaria, p.107
- Betty Kramer, Memories of growing up in Camden, p.1
- Stephen Fisher, Memories of growing up in Camden, p.25
- Catherine Warne, Book Launch, Pictorial History of Camden & District, p.27
Volume 3 Number 10 September 2015
- Ian Willis, Camden: The role of heritage in the making of place in a New South Wales country town, p.31
- Christine Yeats, Romani convicts and Camden connections, p333
- Donald Howard, The Faces In The Street, p338
- Peter McCall An Admiral’s Wife In Camden, p351
- Dawn Williams, The Telephone Exchange – Werombi, p358
- Janice Johnson, Margaret Wheeler and Julie Wrigley, 2nd Madras Cavalry Uniform, p361.
Assessment of Significance. Collection Item No. 1970.264
Volume 3 Number 9 March 2015
- Bob Lester, President’s Report 2014 – 2015, p366
Volume 3 No 8 September 2014
- Annette Macarthur Onslow, From the Old to New South Wales, the life of Astley John Onslow Thompson
- Bob Lester , President’s Report 2013-2014, p275
- John Wrigley , Dick Inglis Death of a Fine Camden Citizen, p280
- Cathey Shepherd, John Martin Hawkey’s Presentation Tea Service, p282
- Ian Willis, RAAF Central Flying School 1940, p286
Book Launch, Author Address, Ministering Angels, p290
Camden District Red Cross, 1914-1915
- Julie Wrigley, Red Cross Book Launch, p293
- Lee and Brian Stratton, Official Opening of Liz Kernohan Drive, p295
- Rene Rem, Museum Volunteers, p297
Volume 3 No 7 March 2014
- John Wrigley, The Paradox of Beauty from the Great War, p299
- Ian Willis, Joy Riley, Memories of John Street, p243
- Peter Mylrea, The Hassall Family as Land Owners in Cobbitty, p248
- John Wrigley, A Flood in Camden in 1819, p254
Phillip Haylock, The Very Sociable Policeman, p256
- Ian Willis, A Conversation with Joyce Thorn of Cobbitty, p259
With Cathey Shepherd
- Ray Herbert, Cobbitty Water Supply (Brochure), p260
World War One, p269
- Ian Willis, Launch of Report Managing The Future of Camden Park, p271
Volume 3, Number 6, September 2013
- John Wrigley, My Dearest Ellen, p273
- Sharon Greene, Kirkham to Camelot, p.199
- Bob Lester, President's Report 2012-2013, p.212
- Noreen Newton, The CIFA Story, p.218
- Janice Johnson, Tank or Bank? p.220
- Julie Wrigley, Clarissa Whiteman, First World War Nurse, p.223
- Peter Mylrea, Crown Land and the Wild Cattle of the Cowpasture Plains, p.224
- Janice Johnson, The Gallipoli Evacuation, p.231
- Extract Camden News 1895, p.236
Vol 3, Number 5, March 2013
- Ian Willis,Camelot, p.239
Special Edition, Camden Airfield
- Annette Macarthur Onslow, Macquarie Grove to Camden Aerodrome, pp. 148-198
- Behold where master Edward flies, p.150
- The 'Broken Man of Camden', p.153
- The race-course that featured in "Silks & Saddles", p.158
- Starting the Flying School, p.164
- The arrival of the Air Force, p.167
- War ends and the show goes on, p.175
- From the Horse's Mouth, p.179
- Macquarie Grove Flying Notes, p.183
- Films and Fun at Macquarie Grove, p.186
- Now for a little light instruction, p.190
- Pre-War and Post-War, p.194
Vol 3, Number 4, September 2012
- Annette Macarthur Onslow, Bio, p.198
- Ian Willis, John Carlyle Southwell OAM, RFD, ED, p.124
- John Wrigley, Camden Historical Society, Annual Report, 2011-2012, p.129
- Robert Wheeler, Elderslie, p.132
- Peter Mylrea, he Original Village of Cawdor, p. 137
Vol 3, Number 3, March 2012
- Peter. Mylrea, Development of Law Courts in Cawdor, Picton and Camden, p.139
- Ian Willis, 'Frances Warner', p.74.
- Laura Cole, 'Tracing the Untraceable- Camden's Great War Nurses'. p.79.
- Laura Cole, "Sketches from my Notebook" - A Portrait of Sister Hester Morton, Great War Nurse', p.88.
- Peter Mylrea, 'European Explorers in the Camden Region', p.90.
- Jo Oliver, 'A Practical Partnership: library, museum and family history society co-operation at Camden', p.97.
- Janice Johnson, 'Camden in the News', p105.
- Ian Willis, 'Yearning, Longing and the Remaking of Camden's Identity: the myths and reality of a 'country town idyll', p.107.
Vol 3, Number 2, September 2011
- Peter Mylrea, 'Local Government, Camden Municipality and Nepean Shire', p.118.
- Ian Willis, 'Edwina Macarthur Stanham', p.37.
- Peter Mylrea, 'Advertisements in the Camden News 1896-1914'. p.42.
- Ian Willis, 'Community Partnerships: are they all that they are cracked up to be?' p.51.
- Peter Mylrea, 'An 1843 Map of Camden'. p.61.
Vol 3, Number 1, March 2011
- Pauline Downing, 'Dr Robert Melville Crookston, OBE'. p.66.
- Ian Willis, 'Lee Abrahams, The District Reporter', p 1
- PJ Mylrea, 'Water and Sewerage in Camden', p. 7
- Penny Love-Lipinkski, 'The Junior Red Cross at Camden Public School', p. 11
Vol 2, Number 10, September 2010
- PJ Mylrea, 'Macarthurs Village of Camden', p. 23.
- Cathey Shepherd, '2009- 2010 President's Report', p.385
- Ian Willis, 'Charity volunteers, the good works of Kay Sidman and others in Camden',p.388
- Ian Willis, 'Mosaic Item (Object) Historical Research Report', p.401
- Julie Wrigley, 'Museum Object Record on Mosaic Object: Pansy Painting', p.402
- PJ Mylrea, 'A Revised Assessment of the Location of Mount Taurus', p.405
- Ian Willis, 'Australian Dress Register', p.412
Vol 2, Number 9, March 2010
- Julie Wrigley and Cathey Shepherd, 'Maud Hodge's Wedding Dress', p.412
- Peter Mylrea, Henry Pollock Reeves, A Significant Camden Man, p.354
- Ian Willis, Bellman Hangars, Camden Airfield, p.361
- Accident on the Campbelltown-Camden Tramway. (1882), p.363
- Rita Oliveri, William Henry Paling, Music Man and Generous Benefactor, p.365
- Julie Wrigley, Violet Amelia Maud Bell, Nurse Millie Bell, p.368
- Rita Oliveri, Martin Thurn, Vinedresser and Pioneer of Elderslie, p.370
- Julie Wrigley, Frances Coker, a convict's daughter, p.372
- Janice Johnson, Henry Gratton Douglass, Douglas Park, p.375
Vol 2, No 8, September 2009
- Rita Oliveri, Ben Hodge, Watchmaker and Community Worker, p.382
- Ian Willis, 'Central Flying School RAAF, Camden Airfield 1940-1945', p. 287
- Ian Willis, 'US Air Force and Camden Airfield', p. 293
- Ian Willis, '32 Squadron RAAF, Camden Airfield, 1942-1944', p. 295
- Charlotte Hemans, 'Policing Camden in the early years, Camden Police Station, 1805-1878', p. 305
- Peter Mylrea, 'Camden Fire Brigade', p. 313
- Julie Wrigley, 'Adeline West, A Camden doctor's wife', p. 325
- Rita Oliveri, 'RL Pinkerton, Camden's finest bowler', p. 328
- Julie Wrigley, 'Honor Sidman, an inspiring life', p. 331
- Rita Oliveri, 'Richard Hawkey, a Camden pioneer', p. 334
- Janice Johnston, 'Toc H, caring for people', p. 336
- Julie Wrigley, 'Eliza Pearson, Camden's first postmistress', p. 338
- Rita Oliveri, 'George Armour, bushman and beekeeper', p. 340
- Jenny Akers, 'The Clissold family, Seven generations in Cobbitty and district', p. 343
Vol 2, No 7, March 2009
- Pauling Downing, 'The loss of a child, our early settlers grief', p.348
- Gabrielle Gwyther, The Lifestyles War and the 'Aspirationals' of Sydney's West p. 236
- Ian Willis, Oran Park. p. 246
- Ian Willis, The finishing line for Oran Park Raceway Control Tower. p. 251
- Peter Mylrea, Camden-Campbelltown Railway. p. 254
- Rita Oliveri, Camden High School English Master. p. 264
- Jenny Akers, Recollections of Ina Cameron (nee Hearne). p. 267
- Pauline Downing, 'Rose Cottage', 14 Barsden Street, Camden. p. 272
Vol 2, No 6, September 2008
- Rita Oliveri, Marguerite Stewart Tucker (1894-1961). p. 280
- Ian Willis, '2008 President's Report Camden Historical Society Inc' p.186
- Ian Willis, 'Camden'. p.195
- PJ Mylrea, 'The Centenary of the Royal Foresters' Hall'. p.204
- Jenny Akers, 'Recollections of Burnham Grove'. p.214
Vol 2, No 5, March 2008
- PJ Mylrea, '125-147 Argyle Street, Camden'. p.223
- Cathy Shepherd, 'Editorial'. 138
- P Mylrea, 'Gas and Electricity in Camden'. p.139
- J Wrigley, 'Vale, Dick Nixon, a eulogy' p.155
- S Pacchiarotta, 'Early Medical Instruments'. p.158
- I Willis, 'A Conversation with Joyce Thorn'. p.165
Vol 2, No 4, September 2007.
50th Anniversary Edition.
- Ian Willis, '2007 Presidents Report'.
- Betty Scott and Ian Willis, 'Objects and Their Stories, Cottage Furniture, 1930s Kitchen Chair'.
- John Wrigley, 'Camden Historical Society, Its Second Twenty Five Years, 1982-2007'.
- Ian Willis, 'Fifty Years of Local History, Camden Historical Society, 1957-2007', Address at the 50th Anniversary Meeting, July 2007.
- Pauline Downing, 'Beep!..The Emu'.
- Ian Willis, 'Historical Society Celebrates 50 Years', Address, Civic Reception, 20 July 2007.
- Minutes of the Foundation Meeting', Camden Historical Society, 24 July 1957.
- Minutes of the First Ordinary General Meeting', Camden Historical Society, 24 July 1957.
- Anne Oehme and Ian Willis, 'Memories of Summer Holidays, Hillview, Lodges Rd, Elderslie, 1940s'.
- David Constantine, 'Development of Impassion Restaurant', Address, 50th Anniversary Dinner, 15 August 2007.
- Peter Mylrea, 'A History of Dairy Farming in the Camden District'.
Vol. 2, No. 3, March 2007.
- Peter Mylrea, 'The Birth, Growth and Demise of Picture Theaters in Camden'.
- Pauline Downing, 'Sharman's Boxing Troupe'.
- Julie Wrigley, 'History of the Camden Branch of Save the Children 1973 to 2006'.
- J.W. Jefferis, 'Memories of Living in Macaria 1938-1952'.
- Pauline Downing, 'Aussie Roofing History Began With Bark'.
- Dick Nixon and Peter Milrea, 'Frozen Rabbits and the Camden Freezing Works'.
Vol. 2, No. 2, September 2006.
- Ian Willis, 'President's Report 2006'.
- Pauline Dowling, 'Rainwater, The Stuff of Life'.
- Karen Farmer, 'The Life and Health of John and Elizabeth Macarthur and Their Children'.
Vol. 2, No. 1, March 2006.
- John Wrigley, 'Death of Nan Blattman, A Gracious Lady'.
- John Wrigley, 'Owen Blattman OAM, Museum Stalwart Passes'.
- Peter Mylrea, 'Swimming in the Nepean River at Camden'.
- Don Baker, 'Recollections of Teaching at Camden Central School, 1950-1956'.
Vol. 1, No. 10, September 2005.
- John Wrigley, 'President's Report'.
- Ian Willis, '"The Gentry and the Village", Camden , 1800-1939'.
- Peter Mylrea, 'Some Photographers of Camden'.
Vol 1, No. 9, March 2005.
- RE Nixon, 'Reminiscences of Argyle Street in the 1920s and 1930s'.
- Peter Mylrea, 'Military Activities in Camden in the Late 1800s'.
- Pauline Downing, 'Patent Cures and Medicines, Australian Home Journal, 1932'.
Vol 1, No. 8, September 2004.
- John Wrigley, 'President's Annual Report'.
- RE Nixon, 'Where Have All the Little Churches Gone?'
- Peter Mylrea, 'Bridges Crossing the Nepean River at Camden'.
- Colin and Agnes Mills, 'Bransby's Cottage, A Camden Colonial Home, Part 5, Owners and Occupiers, The Crown vs Ann and Sarah Norris'.
Vol 1, No. 7, March 2004.
- John Wrigley, 'Building The Collection'.
- RE Nixon, 'Improving Literacy in Camden in the Nineteenth Century'.
- Ian Willis, 'Camden At War, Second World War, 1939-1945, A Brief Overview'.
Vol 1, No. 6, September 2003.
- John Wrigley, 'The President's Report'.
- Colin and Agnes Mills, 'Bransby's Cottage, A Camden Colonial Home, Part 4, Owners and Occupiers, George Bransby'.
- RE Nixon, 'Some of the Earlier Recreations and Sports in Camden'.
- Ray Herbert, 'A Brief History of Studley Park'.
Vol. 1, No. 5, March 2002.
- Don Gapes, 'Thomas Barker and the Maryland Winery'.
- RE Nixon and Peter Mylrea, 'The Telephone Comes to Camden'.
- Colin and Agnes Mills, 'Bransby's Cottage, A Camden Colonial Home, Part 3, Owners and Occupiers, The Early Years'.
- Peter Mylrea, 'What is the Origin of the Name Mount Annan?'
Vol. 1 No. 4, September 2002.
- Peter Hayward, 'President's Report'.
- Colin and Agnes Mills, 'Bransby's Cottage, A Camden Colonial Home, Part 2, The Restoration'.
- Pauline Downing and RE Nixon, 'The Bells of St Johns'.
- Peter Mylea, '"Perpetuated" Errors and the Identification of Pyramid Hill'.
- John Wrigley, 'Hugh McCrae, Australian Poet'.
Vol. 1, No. 3, March 2002.
- Thomas Herbert, 'Camden in the Early Days'.
- RE Nixon, 'Wheat Growing in Camden'.
- Colin Clark, 'Glimpses of Camden From 1934, Part 2'.
Vol. 1, No. 2, September 2001.
- Colin Clark, 'Glimpses of Camden from 1934, Part 1'.
- Peter Hayward, 'Federation Exhibition at Camden Museum'.
- Colin and Agnes Mills, 'Bransby's Cottage, A Camden Colonial Home, Part 1, The Building'.
Vol. 1, No. 1, 2001.
- Peter Mylrea, 'Camden Historical Society, Its First 25 Years, 1957-1982'.
- RE Nixon, '"Teamster's Memorial" Yerrandarie Silver Ore'.
- John Wrigley, 'Federation Exhibition at Camden Museum'